Today we marked the end of ‘Letter to Myself’, the stitching project inspired by Lorina Bulwer, by visiting her grave and leaving a stitched message of thanks.
Some of us had written personal messages on the fabric.
Such a seemingly insignificant grave for someone who has been in our thoughts a lot over the past few months. We hope our gift shows that Lorina is still remembered, and her work celebrated.
Our new project has started; we are working with two groups of women using a number of textile techniques to create pieces inspired by the panels made by Lorina Bulwer.
We made textured felt from wallpaper paste and cotton wool. We’ll incorporate the finished felted elements into panels when they have dried
We also made panels with strips of fabric
We also made prints using a gelatine plate.
Hazel and Felicity really enjoyed working together
We had a great day working together; the Broads Authority Friday Group volunteers and the artists from Barrington Farm. We cut and bundled willow which the artists took back to the farm to work with. Apart from a very dramatic shower which interrupted the day and gave us the perfect excuse for a rest and a cuppa we were busy for hours.
Today we headed to Barrington Farm, laden with freshly cut willow from Repps Meadow (thanks to Broads Authority volunteers)…
We then spent some happy hours weaving with the artists at Barrington Farm, introducing the artists to the medium. The room was buzzing with creative energy, and after some initial experimentation willow sculptures of all shapes and sizes began to emerge!
We were delighted when Karolina brought her gods eye back to Saturday’s session – she had been working on it at home and completely covered the sticks with weaving!
We have been using gods eyes, woven in willow, to attach the swill basket frame to the handle. This picture shows the two materials, wool and willow, side by side…
Having made willow plates last week the group we are working with at Headway moved on to make a start on their frame baskets, based on Great Yarmouth’s herring Swill.
We have been finding ways to support baskets during weaving – our experimental jig was a success!